Friday, January 22, 2010

27 going on 28

                                          
TWENTY-SEVEN.
Unbelievable. It was almost 3 months ago now and it still completely surreal. Everything about the 27th World Championship seems like a fairy tale to me.

For starters, let me briefly touch on that STADIUM. My dad and I were lucky enough to grab some 25 cent bleacher tickets to an exhibition game against the Cubs in the new stadium, and spent maybe 30 minutes watching the game and at least THREE HOURS checking out the new home. I'm not sure words can describe how unbelievable this stadium is.. I swear I thought I was in heaven. You can hate the Yankees and say all you want about all the money they spent on the place.. get some $15 bleacher tickets and check it out. I guarantee that you will be amazed.


Skipping ahead to October, with my clicking skills and a hell of a lot of luck, I landed tickets for me and my dad to 3 of the greatest games of the 2009 postseason.
  1. I sat in the cold upper deck during Game 2 of the ALDS when A-rod sent Joe Nathan's 3-1 pitch into the Yankee bullpen to tie the game at 3 in the 9th, as well as in the 11th when Mark Teixeira lined a walk-off homer down the left field line, earning his first ceremonial pie in the face from AJ Burnett (A new tradition added by AJ to a season full of come-from-behind wins)
  2. I endured 5 hours and 10 minutes of freezing rain from the left field bleachers where I witnessed yet another game-tying bomb from Alex in the 11th, followed by Jerry Hairston's game winning run on an error in the 13th.
  3. At only the age of 20, I reached one of my life-long dreams: November 4, 2009 I witnessed my Yankees win a world championship.
I experienced such a rollercoaster of emotions during these 3 games in the Bronx. The rush you feel when you watch Alex Rodriguez swing the bat and carry the ball over the fence in the same exact way that you imagined he would... It is spectacular and it almost feels like magic.


I'm running out of steam for the day but I can't conclude this without mentioning the fact that this championship was significantly sweeter because it was against the Philadelphia Phillies. As I mentioned in the first entry, I live in South Jersey just a hop and a skip from Philadelphia. If you aren't already aware you should know that Philadelphia itself has a huge inferiority complex. I honestly like the city of Philadelphia, however, it's not New York and they know it. New Yorkers could care less about Philly but Philadelphians DESPISE New Yorkers. Philly fans felt that this World Series was their opportunity to prove their superiority over the Big Apple. We all know how that story ended and the ending couldn't have been sweeter. It was simply beautiful watching my boys shove a sock in the mouths of all those who tortured me for all of my life and the fact that the Phillies final loss went to good ole Pedro Martinez was the icing on top of the most delicious cake I ever imagined.

Que es su padre, Pedro?

No comments:

Post a Comment